Twin Buggy

From Good Santa's to where to buy those wonderful knee length boots....

Moderator: IBW Moderators

Twin Buggy

Postby Paula Lawlor » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:13 pm

Hi Guys
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. As some of you know I'm expecting early 2007 - and what a surprise we got at the first scan when we were told it's twins :D :D :D . So it's all systems go now and all is well even if I'm big as a house :)

What I'm trying to find out is can someone recommend a twin buggy. I've just started looking and there's so many choices that I'm now confused. I don't know if side by side or tandem is the way to go???

So any mums especially if anyof you have twins - all advice galdly accepted :D :D

Paula
Paula Lawlor, Managing Director, Professional Marketing & Merchandising Services Ltd, Sligo
Paula Lawlor

Business Name: PMM Ltd
Business Description: National field marketing company - ISO 2001:2008 - 20 years trading - merchandising, retail auditing, retail training

Postby noelene » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Hi Paula, congratulations!! I did not have twins, but I had three children under three so the buggy thing was a nightmare for me.

I live not far from Kilkenny where the streets are narrow and a side by side buggy would have been too wide for the footpaths. So I went for the one up front, one down the back version with a buggy board when my eldest son was able to stand on it. Very easy to manouvre with one or two babies, but became difficult with the buggy board as well.

If I were doing it all again I would probably go for one of those really flashy 3 wheel types - they look so easy to push around. Would be good also if you had one where the seats could face you when the babies are tiny, but reverse so they can look to the front when they are bigger and sitting up. Don't forget a big space for putting the change bag, make sure it folds up and down easily as you can almost guarantee there will be no-one around to help when its bucketing with rain at the supermarket, the babies need feeding and you haven't the change for the ticket machine! Oh, and don't forget to check it fits into the boot of your car, obvious I know but a point that it easy to forget.

I had all sorts of equipment for the kids and must admit my favourite was always the Britax gear. Even after 3 babies most of it looked brand new and I very happily donated everything to a neighbour who fosters children and babies. And I know it is still going strong.

Maybe we have some mums of twins on the board who can give you a different perspective.

Best of luck with the buggy hunting and especially with the pregnancy - mind yourself well.

Noelene
noelene

Postby caroline » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:20 pm

Hi Paula,

You must be shell shocked!!!! Twins!!! My friend had twins, and she said when she found out on the scan, she doesnt remember driving home, she was in that much shock!!!

Is this your first pregnancy?

I have just the one, so will ask my friends, 2 have the side by side buggy and another has the 2 in front, so will do a survey for you.

Are twins more prone in Ireland, its just there is a lot of twins in our town?? Or else its something in the water!!! Do twins run in your family?

Get as much rest now while you can!!!
Wishing you a healthy pregnancy!!!

Kind Regards
Caroline
caroline
Most Valued Member
Most Valued Member

Postby Emir » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:12 am

Congrats Paula,

What can I say about double buggies . . . PHIL & TEDS, PHIL & TEDS, PHIL & TEDS! Have a look at http://www.philandteds.com/cat.htm ; really I don't work for them! I purchased a double buggy when I was pregnant with my 4th baby, and I'm getting such great use out of it; I can push the two small ones around, talk on the phone, push a trolley with the other hand! It's so light and easy to maneuver. I have had so many double buggies in my time, side by side ones and front and back ones that made us look like a traveling circus; you even had to jump up on the handle bars to hoist it up on to the kerb!!! I’ve just checked the website and they do a model for twins, they are pricey but it is such an investment. You will ENJOY taking your babies out in this, it’s not hard work at all. Ok, gotta dash, all the best with the rest of your pregnancy and the arrival of your beautiful babies,

Emir x

PS I see that you are in Sligo, I’ve seen them there in a baby shop across from ummm that big shop that houses Dorethy Perkins? Forget the name, I’m sure you know where I’m on about!

E x
ImpressMe.ie

Lifecasting of babies and childrens hands & feet

www.impressme.ie
Emir

Postby cris » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:49 am

Paula! Big congratulations :D You must be so excited. Enjoy the remainder of the pregnancy and the new arrivals. Their big brother must be so excited :D

Well, I can't go beyond Emir's reccomendation for the Phil and Teds! That really sounds like the right buggy.

I remember an old school pal telling me that there was a meeting for prospective parents of 2 or more babies in her hospital at some stage in her pregnancy. It was organised by the multiple births assoc. At that time (almost 2 yrs ago!) People were advised to get a maclaren side by side stroller as most of the other twin buggies were so cumbersome that people ended up just buying a maclaren and only using that.

The Phil and Teds is quite new and mightn't have been test driven too much at that stage. I think it sounds like the right one :D
www.CheckMate.ie
CheckMate Business Services
SortMyBooks training courses in Mayo, Galway and Dublin!

www.BlackberryVillage.ie
150 new products coming for Christmas! Email Newsletter@BlackberryVillage.ie to read about it first!
cris
Most Valued Member
Most Valued Member

Postby Éadaoin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Paula,

Congratulations!
What fabulous news! :D :D

Again, I think Emir has said it all!
Buggies seem to have improved incredibly since my daughter was that age, so I'm sutre you'll have loads of choice.

Wishing you all the best.... make the most of the next couple of months! :D
Éadaoin Ní Néill,
Aperture Web Design/ Aperture Commercial Photography
www.aperturewebdesign.com www.aperturecommercialphotography.com
Éadaoin
Most Valued Member
Most Valued Member

Postby bigleap » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:41 am

Hey Paula,
what fantastic news, congratualtions...busy fun times ahead! Have not used the phil and teds but have heard great reports about them. We bought a Cosatta (? spelling) its a side by side one and is okay but a nightmare to put up and down. Given that you will use your buggy for the next 3 years its really worth buying a user friendly one. So, I wouldn't recommend the Cosatta, so that's one to strike off the list.

Rest, rest and rest again for the remainder of your pregnancy and best wishes for an easy birth in 07. So exciting for you........only a llittle jealous here but that said 4 children is enough!

All the best,
Emma.
bigleap

Business Name: Big Leap Designs
Business Description: Happy cards for all life's special days.
Wedding stationery, custom designs available.
Quirky teapots, mugs jugs and plates.
Personalised candles for christenings and weddings.

Postby Mum on the Go » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:16 pm

Hi Paula!
Hope the pregnancy is going well for all of you! Well, I don't have twins (toddler and due no2 is 3 weeks) but my sister recently adopted twin boys- they're now 9 months.

She's got two types of buggies- one is MacClaren side by side (which she managed to pick in perfect condition, almost new, second hand for €160)

and she also has a fancy, three-wheel, beautiful red buggy- which cost a fortune.

Guess which one she swears by? yes it's the maclaren- she says it's the only one that will fit in most doors, and is lighter to manage- the other one is apparently easy to move, but won't fit anywhere- and they're only using it now as sort of a run-around (they live in country so on walks etc)..

anyways, HTH
A big congrats again
Louise
Mum on the Go

Twin Buggy

Postby vvkiernan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:55 pm

Congratulations on your twins! Take my advice - do anything you need to do now - you won't get time after!
I had twins in June this year - they are 5 months old. I did a lot of research when I bought my twin buggy. I went with a McLaren Twin Traveller and I have to say it is brilliant. It folds down easy and it's not too wide (side by side) I can get round the shops fine. But believe me you won't be going out with them too often anyway! It's more hassle than it is worth in the early days believe me and you will be so busy - you won't have the time. The last 5 months have just been a blur for me - I can hardly even remember it passing. I am just getting my head back above the water right now and thank god I had two very good babies - good weights - 7lbs 8 and 7lbs 5 !! No problems with colic and a husband who is very good with babies - but I think when you have twins husbands have to become very adaptable very quick.
Best of luck anyway. If I can give you any advice - let me know! Enjoy, they are brilliant!!
Margaret Kiernan
Virgin Vie Branch Sales Manager
044 93 55420 / 086 825 8265

How much richer could you be with Virgin Vie? Call me now to find out!
vvkiernan

Twin Buggy

Postby vvkiernan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:56 pm

Congratulations on your twins! Take my advice - do anything you need to do now - you won't get time after!
I had twins in June this year - they are 5 months old. I did a lot of research when I bought my twin buggy. I went with a McLaren Twin Traveller and I have to say it is brilliant. It folds down easy and it's not too wide (side by side) I can get round the shops fine. But believe me you won't be going out with them too often anyway! It's more hassle than it is worth in the early days believe me and you will be so busy - you won't have the time. The last 5 months have just been a blur for me - I can hardly even remember it passing. I am just getting my head back above the water right now and thank god I had two very good babies - good weights - 7lbs 8 and 7lbs 5 !! No problems with colic and a husband who is very good with babies - but I think when you have twins husbands have to become very adaptable very quick.
Best of luck anyway. If I can give you any advice - let me know! Enjoy, they are brilliant!!
Margaret Kiernan
Virgin Vie Branch Sales Manager
044 93 55420 / 086 825 8265

How much richer could you be with Virgin Vie? Call me now to find out!
vvkiernan

Return to Where can I get? (Non Business)